Sunday, May 19, 2013

A little black dress

According to all fashion gurus, all women should have at least one little black dress in their closet.
That little black dress fashionable enough to look professional and pretty, but a dress that can be turned into a fun and sexy piece of wardrobe with a slight change of earrings, shoes or belt.

I had... none.

Nothing, I had one or two dresses that looked like XL moo-moo gowns, circus tents or ponchos.
Nothing pretty.

Today, I have... well... an orange one, a blue, a lilac, a gray, a green, a red, a brown one...  and THREE little black dresses,
I fit into small size dresses now. If you can't believe it, don't worry, neither can I.
From those 3 dresses, the first one was a present from my former roommate for my birthday last year.
The second was a Christmas present from my aunt Tita.
The third one was on sale and my friend told me I looked super cute in it so... I HAD to buy it.

Anyway.

This Friday was a friend's birthday and she wanted to go out for dinner and then dancing with all her friends.
She wanted her birthday to be something "fancy but fun".

It was a chance for me to wear one of my little black dresses.
The one with the cleavage is the only one I can wear in this weather... oh God!! why did I let my roommate give me that thing?!?!?!
I'm not comfortable showing that much skin.
I am truly NOT comfortable looking down and seeing 'all that' out in the open.
I am honestly NOT comfortable with that.

When I arrived at the restaurant, P&T asked me to sit in between them so I felt relieved.
"Sitting with the kiddies is going to make dinner easy" or so I thought:
P&T: Mafe!... you look pretty today.
Me: Thanks guys, that's sweet!
Yeah, you should wear more dresses like that. Your boobs look nice.
WHAT!?!?!?! Duuuuuuudes!!!!!!
Yeah, you look like the girls on tv.
Oh man...
Where are the moo-moos and the ponchos when I need them!?!?!?!
FUCK!!

Dinner's over, the kids and their parents leave, and the rest of us go dancing: Salsa, merengue... ing the night away.

I'm still feeling uncomfortable and I don't know if I can stand to long.
I'll probably leave early.

Yeah, I'll do that.

Then Mr. M., my coolest local guy-friend comes towards me...
MrM: "Parce", we can't let that dress go to waste (Parce = colombian slang for "dude")
Me: What are you talking about?
You never wear dresses and you don't go to work looking THIS HOT... we can't let that dress go to waste.
....
C'mon Parce... you look pretty. Dance with me?
....
I'm not going to apologize for telling the truth, you look good and you know it.
....
:P

And so we danced all night, every time he asked me to, he said the same thing: "C'mon, that dress is not going to be wasted", and smiled.

So yeah, every woman needs that little one black dress that makes her look super hot.

More important, every woman needs at least one male friend who's close enough to say good and bad things about you in your face.
A couple of babies will do the same, but keep in mind, kids don't have filters and they will blurt out the truth. Be ready for anything.

... We all need confidence boosts from time to time and I got two in one night.
 Life's good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep talking... I'm listening.